Welcome to my blog!
My name is Aaron Munday, and I come from Sheffield in England.
When I was travelling Europe I came to Kraków, Poland, and liked it so much I stayed.
I worked in a hostel for a year, then became an English Teacher...
But one day I decided I wanted a new adventure, and found myself a job on an island called Batam in Indonesia.
Read on to discover more of the story.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Making Learning Fun

A busy week, but not so much news. I have taught lots of lessons, and met one of the owners of the school. In fact my entire week has been dedicated to teaching - so that's what I'm going to write about.

As far as lessons have been concerned, it's been fun. I've played a some word games (Jimmy's Island and How Many Giraffes - a throwback to my hostel days) with my more advanced classes, and done a general knowledge quiz (Indonesians seem to be really bad at Geography - no, Paris is not in South America) but I've had good students with interesting questions. With my teenage class I talked about sports, and then used kung-fu to teach punctuation (this involved everyone standing up, doing chops and punches and yelling ha! or hwaaah! at the grammatically correct point) that was very fun.

The kids' classes are a different matter entirely, its closer to working as a security guard in an insane asylum than teaching, no time to relax at all. I left a class for one minute to get some paper, and when I came back they had turned the light off and started screaming and fighting! However, in one of the classes I invented a superhero (dlatego jestem bohaterem) to help talk about fancy dress costumes, so I can take the good with the bad.

The owner of the school is friendly, and on Thursday organised a teaching workshop, which was pretty good, I learnt a few things about the theory of teaching and how to control riotous children, and also a few useful tips on Indonesian culture.

So it's now Friday, and I have one more lesson to teach before the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment