Welcome to my blog!
My name is Aaron Munday, and I come from Sheffield in England.
When I was travelling Europe I came to Kraków, Poland, and liked it so much I stayed.
I worked in a hostel for a year, then became an English Teacher...
But one day I decided I wanted a new adventure, and found myself a job on an island called Batam in Indonesia.
Read on to discover more of the story.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Monkeys and Beaches

Yesterday I took a bit of a tour around the islands, Steve and I drove across Batam, then across this bridge, which is sometimes used as the symbol of Batam;
To another island, then two more bridges and two more islands to get to Barelang Island. There we visited a Vietnamese refugee camp, which was set up when a load of people fleeing the war got on a boat, and set up a village wherever it landed. The camp is abandoned now, except for monkeys and tourists, so we drove around a little and tried to feed the monkeys;


After that we went to this idyllic beach;
and swam in the sea, tossed a football, and let Zbyszek roam the sands;
We left as the sun was going down;
and went back to the first bridge, where there are many stalls selling fruit and barbequed sweetcorn;
I bought some corn, a dragon fruit (which I'm still not sure how to eat) and a coconut. The coconut was prepared with a machete, the outside chopped off and some straws inserted, and tasted very good.

Then it was the rest of the drive home, with some more Batam traffic;
Once we got back I played PlayStation for a little while, before taking a walk around my neighbourhood and getting some seafood noodle soup. On my way back I stopped at a mini market and saw this strange combination of Eastern and Western cuisine;
When I got back home it was some skype conversations with friends and a relatively early night.

Today I finally got my new laptop working. I'm heading back home now to rest because...

First day of school in tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Have u seen the dragon fruit plant in the journey? My BF told me that Barelang (shorten of Batam-Rempang-Galang) build for distribution of the dragon-fruit. I've visited the plant and tasted dragon-fruit-coctail there, took pic of flower of dragon fruit, you may visit this link http://wisata.kompasiana.com/jalan-jalan/2011/04/24/batam-im-in-love/ and see the yellow flower which later become the dragon fruit. In that article, there's also "gong-gong"(shells pic), kind of seafood which only exist Batam.

    ReplyDelete