Welcome to my blog!
My name is Aaron Munday, and I come from Sheffield in England.
When I was travelling Europe I came to Kraków, Poland, and liked it so much I stayed.
I worked in a hostel for a year, then became an English Teacher...
But one day I decided I wanted a new adventure, and found myself a job on an island called Batam in Indonesia.
Read on to discover more of the story.

Friday, September 9, 2011

A Working Week

It's now Friday, the last day of my first week, and it's been a good start to my new job at EF. I have been taking classes every day, and they have all been fun. The students are all nice, and I think they really enjoy meeting a new "bule" (pronounced boo-lay, a not-too-polite term for a white person).

I had a lot of fun trying out games and ideas for helping with learning English. For one group, studying a unit about love, dating and meeting people, I explained the concept of 'speed dating' and persuaded them to try it out in class. To start with the boys were much more eager than the girls, but after they realised there would only be time to introduce themselves, everyone was happy to play and they really enjoyed it.

There is also a conversation class, which I have now taken twice, who are very friendly but in my first lesson with them I found out, whilst telling them where I'm from, that their geography knowledge wasn't great, so the I taught them about Britain, and the next lesson I made a quiz about world geography, which they really enjoyed. Here's a photo of them;
Although this photo came at a bit of a price, after this, a lot of the girls wanted an individual photo with a "bule", and I ended up staying in the classroom for 15 minutes after class, so they could all take one.

From my other classes, some hi-lights were being asked if I knew Prince William and Wayne Rooney, being told that all English people have yellow skin and having to explain that England is not a place in America.

It looks like this will be a fun year!

Do Andrzej, i wszystkich z Polskii - wiesz mogę czytać po Polsku, ale moj Angielski jest lepiej. nie panikuj! Pamiętam o Polsce i bardzo dużo tęsknie. Będę wracać!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome to read Aaron, keep it up! Sounds like you're having a great time man. I'll keep reading :)

    Take care mate. - Lydon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! I participate as photographer in individual photo session and it's fun. Basically the girls think that u r cool (almost coz u r bule) and want to shown the pic to their friends. Remember that one of them asked, "Do you fell like you are an artist?" Yes, u are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo, especially the yellow-skinned bule at the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to sign my name - Przemek. Take care!

    ReplyDelete